For nearly 3 decades, I’ve had an email marketing campaign of some kind running every business day. Yes, there was email 30 years ago. In fact, email is 40 years old.
And for most of that time, there have been three truisms floating around that everyone pretty much accepted as gospel. They include:
- Send commercial email during business hours, because that’s when people read email sent to their business email address. (Note the underlying assumption that people have a unique business email address.)
- Don’t send people too many email messages — your open rate will go down if you send more than one or two emails a month.
- As other forms of communication become more popular, email will follow direct mail and personal letters into the dust bin of marketing history.
Turns out, the first two are dead wrong — and for now at least, so is the third one. How do I know? Because it’s my job — and I’ve spend the last few months buried in more data and research on the subject than you’d ever believe existed.
Yesterday, I published a new white paper on my company website that compiles the most important research data and updated information from all that reading and research I’ve been doing. It’s called Email Evolution: New Trends in a Proven Marketing Channel. It’s not long — just eight pages including the cover page — but it’s filled with data and practical information that almost anyone can use today to get better results from their email marketing efforts.
What does it include?
- Why email still survives as social media grows
- How email and social media became “adult homework”
- When to send email for the best (and worst) results
- What it takes to build smartphone-friendly emails
That last point — making your email marketing efforts accessible and attractive for the 88% of email users who read their mail on mobile devices — is critical to achieving good results. I think the most valuable information in the white paper are the six tips for making email display better on mobile devices, and the data on how to time your messages for best results. Click here to download it now.